At the end of every year I try to empty as many jars of bulk goods as I can, so I can buy fresh items come January.  It's just nice to see all those empty jars stacking up, and having to think creatively to get a meal on the table.  We seemed to have a lot of leftover spices hanging around this year, and because I'm trying to go a little lighter on my caffeine intake this decaf Rooibos Chai Tea recipe was born.  This recipe yields 2 cups of bulk tea, so many, many, pots of tea.  And would make a great last minute holiday gift!

1 1/2 cups Rooibos Tea
3 Cinnamon Sticks, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons Cardamon Pods, chopped
1 tablespoon Star Anise pods, chopped
1 teaspoon Whole Peppercorns, roughly cracked

Combine all ingredients, store in an airtight container.

*I did end up adding the end of a jar of ground cinnamon to this recipe.  Less than a 1/2 teaspoon.  I doubt it makes any difference in the flavor, but having another empty jar felt so good!
* Feel free to add any extra spices you have.  This recipe is easily customizable.  If I had it on hand I would have added some chopped crystallized ginger and some rose petals to be fancy.
*If you don't have Rooibos tea on hand any black tea will work.
*Apologies for the sad state of the surface of my table, its really seen a lot of use this year.





Comments

Popular Posts