CSA Overload!

My friend Christina subscribes to the same CSA that I do, and we have both been experiencing the same problem, gluts of produce, and not always the yummy produce that is easy to dispose of like strawberries.  We seem to be getting a lot of beets, cabbage, and zucchini, although better than weeks of kale and swiss chard,(one week I got both baby swiss chard, and full grown swiss chard in the same box!) it does get a little old.  For the beets I've discovered the joys of chocolate beet cake, which I will blog about as soon as I make it again. We are like animals when it comes to cake in our house and it was destroyed before I could take a picture!  Todays recipe is for zucchini bread, adapted from the kitchen classic Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I've made this recipe so many times that the pages of the cookbook are glued together and flour covered, and I have notes written on the side.  It definitely is the sweetest way to rid your house of zucchini.

Zucchini Bread

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup cooking oil ( I have used canola, melted coconut, or butter)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Grease the bottom and sides of a 8x4x2 inch loaf pan.  In a bowl mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg, whisk to combine.  In another bowl combine beaten egg, sugars, zucchini, oil, and vanilla add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined(lumps are okay!). Spoon batter into pan and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool to room temperature.  This is now the hardest part, but crucial for super moist bread, wrap the bread in plastic wrap and allow to sit for at least 12 hours or as long as you can stand!


Comments

Popular Posts