Garden Update

I wanted to post a few photos of what's been happening up in the garden this week, and hopefully every week from here on out.  Its been really great to see how things changes and evolve.  It feels like every time I go the corn is taller, the tomatoes need more stakes, and I find a few more baby zucchini and cucumbers.  Thats not to say that there aren't problems, my zucchini keep shriveling and the leaves are looking like there might be a fungus problem, I squished at least 2 dozen june bugs last night, and my cantaloupe plants seem to have disappeared.   Overall it feels nothing short of miraculous that I plant seeds in the ground and they grow!  Pictured above is wild bergamot, which I was mis-naming bee balm.  The bees do love it, though!



Onions grown from sets this year, not seeds, but doing well!  So far I've just been harvesting them as needed, thinning as I go, and it's worked out great!


The view towards the back fence, rows of cucumbers and squash in the foreground.


Green tomatoes.  I have no clue on the variety, because I am horribly inconsistent at labeling.
  

Echinacea, or purple coneflower, I transplanted this from a division that I picked up off the curb from my neighborhood.  It seems happy.  I've been curious about making different tincture from the herbs I grow.  Does anyone have any great sources?


The darkest of dark purple tomatoes.  Also so prolific.


As the saying goes, "Knee high by the 4th of July".


The beginnings of a very tomato-centric lifestyle.  These went in a bit late so I have some time before my world explodes.  I complain, but I am so very excited.  Making ketchup has been on my to do list for a long time.  I think this is going to be the year.

Comments

Popular Posts